Peter D. Parks was awarded the Gordon E. Sawyer Award at the 2003 Academy Awards for his work on Bugs! A Rainforest Adventure.
Executive Director of Development and Membership - Full Time, Exempt
The Executive Director of Development is a key member of the Museum’s Senior Team responsible for leading the Development and Membership Departments. This development officer is responsible for the planning and implementation of ongoing fund raising strategies designed to raise contributed income for annual operations. The position carries the major and principle gift portfolio and is responsible for securing significant gifts primarily from individuals and foundations directly as well as supporting the Museum President, the Board of Directors, and the Development Committee in their fundraising efforts. The executive director manages and mentors a team of fundraisers (corporate, individual, foundation and membership) and administrative support personnel for fundraising. S/he is also charged with the administrative and managerial functions of the department including department and financial budgeting, reporting, and strategic fundraising planning. This position works closely with others throughout the Museum especially the Museum’s Capital Campaign Counsel, Chief Administrative Officer, and senior leadership team and program staff. Reporting Relationship: This position reports to the Museum President.
Basic Functions and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
The Executive Director of Development and Membership is responsible for the following general job functions:
• Identifies, solicits, secures and stewards individual and foundation donors on an ongoing basis
• Oversees the overall functioning of the development department, including the preparation and management of the annual department budget
• Responsible for successful attainment of fund raising goals for annual operations funding within assigned portfolio and for the department as a whole
• Oversees the comprehensive grant and proposal preparation process, from working closely with program staff throughout the museum to develop cases for support, to writing and/or coordinating the writing efforts among the development team for the proposals and grants, to ensuring proper reporting of funded proposals to managing ongoing donor stewardship and relationships
• Guides and works with the prospect researcher and fundraisers to identify and explore potential funding sources on the local, state and national levels which align with the Museum’s priority mission fulfillment programs.
• In collaboration with development and event staff, oversees Museum donor and special events designed to cultivate and steward donors as well as its annual large fundraising event
• Oversees the Museum’s Membership Program, supervising and mentoring the Membership Manager and Membership team
• Takes responsibility for other development-related projects as assigned by the President.
• Minimum 7 years development experience preferred, preferably as the Vice President or Director of Development for a large non-profit organization
• Demonstrated experience working with and managing fundraising volunteers necessary including having worked directly with board members and high net worth individuals
• Understanding of membership programs; experience running one preferred
• Experience supervising staff
• Understanding of the Fort Worth social and philanthropic communities helpful, but not required
• Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software strongly encouraged
• Warm, outgoing interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with a range of staff, volunteers, prospective donors and the general public required
• Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
• A positive, achievement-oriented attitude and proactive work ethic
• Ability to work in a collegial, respectful work environment mandatory
• Proven ability to maintain the highest level of discretion and confidentiality with sensitive donor giving information
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the willingness and capability to personally manage administrative details as needed
Thank you for your interest in the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History!