The OMNI sound system has 50 speakers, driven by 8 amplifiers that produce over 24,000 watts of sound through 6 channels and a giant sub-bass stack to give the audience that “you are there” feeling.
Director of Marketing and Communications
Full Time Exempt
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing the Museums' institutional marketing, communications, and public relations activities, both external and internal; directing the efforts of the marketing and communications staff; and coordinating at the strategic and tactical levels with other departments and functions of the Museums. The position serves as a member of the senior management team. This position participates with the Board of Trustees, the executive staff and the senior management staff in charting the direction of the Museum, assuring its accountability to all constituencies, and ensuring its effective operation. Within the Museum, the position has primary working relationships with the Chief Development Officer, the Chief Operating Officer, the Chief Interpretation Officer, director and management level staff, staff of the marketing and communications department, as well as service providers. Outside the Museum, the position coordinates, primarily, with the media and marketing partners. This is a full time position with a full benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, plus a generous time off package.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Responsible for creating, implementing, and measuring the success of an institutional marketing, communications, and public relations program that enhances the Museum's image and position within the cultural sector and raises awareness of the Museum among the general public.
- Ensures articulation of the Museum's desired image and position, consistent communication of image and position throughout the institution, and communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
- Coordinates media interest in the Museum and ensures regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
- Acts as the Museum's representative with the media.
- Ensures that the Museum regularly conducts relevant market research, and coordinates and oversees this activity. Monitors trends and determines responses to changes.
- Leads projects as assigned, such as special events, anniversary celebrations, and community partnerships
- Responsible for the preparation and adherence to the departmental budget.
- Work Experience: Minimum of five to seven years in institutional and direct consumer marketing required, preferably in a museum or similar nonprofit organization. Significant supervisory, managerial, and budgetary responsibility experience. Government relations, public relations, and corporate communications experience.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills
- Ability to function as an institutional spokesperson.
- Experience managing a diverse portfolio of assignments with multiple direct reports.
- Demonstrated success in planning and conducting major marketing, promotional, and public relations campaigns.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with media representatives, the community at large, and special interest groups.
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Extensive knowledge of the marketing and public relations methodologies in a large, high profile, nonprofit institution.
- Knowledge of arts and/or leisure audiences in the widest possible context.
- High-level analytical, problem solving, and presentation skills.
- Ability to develop and execute effective long-term marketing and communication strategies.
- Ability to train, direct, supervise, and motivate staff.
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities.
- High level of creativity and an entrepreneurial approach to problem solving.
- Knowledge of and experience in using the standard Microsoft Office programs.
Employment Application - PDF
Human Resources Manager
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History
1600 Gendy Street
Fort Worth, Texas 76107
fax: (817) 255-9354